Optimizing Analytical Function in Policing – July 2022
Only 13 slots left.
July 03rd - September 24th, 2022
Course Language: English
This 12-week course is intended for managers and individuals of analytical units seeking to develop and improve the sustainability, professionalism, utilization, and legacy of their analytical capacities. The purpose is to aid law enforcement agencies in effectively designing and implementing a long-term data-driven infrastructure that professionalizes analytical efforts and exceptionally serves the agency and community. This course provides various strategies and tools to build an agency’s analytical capacity and legacy in a way that nurtures, grows, and retains quality analytical function and purpose.
Each week students will receive a video detailing the week’s lessons and providing instruction on required self-study work including (1) student research and/or required video and readings, (2) action implementation, and (3) journal/discussion board reflections.
Estimated time investment is approximately 3-5 hours per week and is detailed within each section, for a total of up to 60 hours over the 12 weeks. Finally, students will complete a capstone project that will be built progressively throughout the 12 weeks. The course will be graded as a pass/fail. This is not a self-paced course; we will advance to each new topic week as a group. Students can login anytime to work as needed. Participation throughout the course is required for a passing grade. As a rule, bulk submissions of your work during the last week of class will not be accepted unless you have received prior authorization from the instructor.
Invitations to the learning platform will be sent the weekend before class starts.
- Week 1: Big Picture of Data-Driven Strategies
- Week 2: Create A Vision of Your Analytical Unit
- Week 3: Roles and Responsibilities of Analytical Unit4.
- Week 4: Policies and Procedures
- Week 5: Recruit and Retain Quality Analysts
- Week 6: Collection Tools and Data Quality Strategies
- Week 7: Be Results-Focused and Purpose-Driven
- Week 8: Turn Data into Actionable Insight/Predict and Optimize Outcomes
- Week 9: Establish Influence and Buy-In
- Week 10: Efficiency Strategies
- Week 11: Building Legacy, Leadership, and Long-Term Success in Crime Analysis
- Week 12: Capstone Project
What: Optimizing Analytical Function in Policing – July 2022
When: July 03rd - September 24th, 2022
- IACA Members: $395
- Non-Members: $445
Course Times: No specific times; students may complete work at any point during the week
Instructor: Dawn Reeby