Course Language: English
In this 12-week online course, students will work through the first half of the IACA book entitled “Exploring Crime Analysis.” The topics covered in this class include an overview of the fundamentals of crime analysis, understanding the criminal justice system, different law enforcement models, understanding criminal behavior, law enforcement data and crime analysis data sources, Internet resources, data integrity, qualitative analysis, interpreting crime data and statistics. The lessons will cover concepts, techniques, theories, and skills most useful to crime analysts.
Essential Skills I and II are independent of each other so can be taken in any order.
Required Texts: Exploring Crime Analysis: Readings on Essential Skills. 3rd Edition (2017) ISBN: 978-1977937186. Students will need to purchase their textbook prior to course start date. See https://iaca.net/books-and-guides/ for more info.
Students successfully completing this pass/fail class will develop and/or enhance their skills toolbox. Though this class is not self-paced, students in the class do not meet live at any given time. Rather, assignments, discussion questions/board, a self-grading quiz, PowerPoints, lecture notes, etc. are provided each week covering a given chapter. Students then have a full week to read the weekly course materials, respond on the discussion board, take the quiz, review other materials, links and articles provided, and to submit a weekly assignment. NOTE: This class will be of great interest and specifically benefit those preparing to test for IACA Certification.
Students should expect a time commitment of 3-5 hours per week to gain a pass grade.
Invitations to the learning platform will be sent the weekend before class starts.
- Week 1: Fundamentals of Crime Analysis
- Week 2: Law Enforcement Models
- Week 3: Understanding Criminal Behavior
- Week 4: Law Enforcement Data & Crime Analysis Data Sources
- Week 5: Internet Resources
- Week 6: Crime Analysis Data and Data Management
- Week 7: Applied Research Methods
- Week 8: Descriptive Statistics
- Week 9: Advanced Statistical Concepts
- Week 10: Qualitative Analysis
- Week 11: Capstone Project #1
- Week 12: Capstone Project #2