Course Language: English
Problem Analysis is a 12 – week online course where students will learn to examine long-term problems and how to recommend effective strategies to combat crime and disorder issues within their jurisdiction by applying criminology theory and research methods. The course focuses on the operational application of problem-oriented policing, including environmental criminology and situational crime prevention, through thoughtful directed discussions with colleagues. Utilizing the “Crime Analysis for Problem Solvers in 60 Small Steps” this course will help outline how analysts can contribute to proactively solving crime and disorder problems in their jurisdictions.
This course assumes that the student knows basic crime analysis skills including:
- Understand how to use various crime analysis computer applications and manipulate data
- Identify hot spots and how to relate them to demographic and other data
- Produce charts, graphs, and reports that support departmental or CompStat-like operations
- Have basic knowledge of statistics and research methodology
Estimated time investment is approximately 3-5 hours per week and is detailed within each section 1 – 10, via discussion, reading assignments, and quizzes, for a total of up to 60 hours over the 12 weeks. Finally, students will complete a capstone project in weeks 11 and 12. This course will be graded as a pass/fail. This is not a self-paced course; we will advance as a group. Students can login anytime to work as needed. We will use a variety of ways to allow for student participation and interaction.
Invitations to the learning platform will be sent the weekend before class starts.
- Week 1: What is POP/problem analysis?
- Week 2: Environmental criminology
- Week 3: Scanning a problem
- Week 4: Analyzing a problem, part 1
- Week 5: Analyzing a problem, part 2
- Week 6: Analyzing a problem, part 3
- Week 7: Responding to a problem
- Week 8: Problem assessment
- Week 9: Presenting the problem
- Week 10: Operationalizing problem analysis
- Week 11: Capstone project
- Week 12: Capstone project